Prep time: 20 min | Cook time: 15 min | Total: 35 min
This recipe is a great alternative to deep fried fish fillets. They can also be adapted as a low sodium option by skipping the salt, or gluten free by using gluten free breadcrumbs instead of panko crumbs. Serve with oven baked potato wedges and a green vegetable and you’ve got a healthy replacement for fish and chips!
#walleye #Airfryer #Glutenfree
- 2 fresh walleye fillets (these may be labelled “pickerel” in store)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Optional: lemon for garnish
- Prepare the walleye fillets by removing any skin and gently patting with a clean tea towel to remove any moisture
- Crack the egg into a bowl and whisk
- To prepare the breadcrumb mixture – pour the panko crumbs into a bowl and add garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Mix until the spices are evenly spread throughout the mixture
- Coat the fish by first dipping it in the egg, and then coating in the breadcrumb mixture. Make sure the fillets are fully coated with breadcrumbs on both sides
- Spray the air fryer basket with non-stick cooking spray and place fillets inside
- Cook the fish at 190 degrees C for 12-15 minutes (cook times may differ slightly depending on air fryer model). Garnish with lemon if desired
Note: Walleye sometimes have very small bones that can be hard to see – check for these carefully before eating.
Note: If you don’t have an air fryer, you can make this recipe in a conventional oven as well, but cook times may be longer.